Multi-effects processors...

I was considering a multi-effects unit, and so I have been on a listening/watching binge for a while to find out what is available today, from flagship to low buck. I think I have finally arrived at the just conclusion that multi-effects units are the tv dinners of the guitar effects world. They give you some of this, which is kind of like that, and some of that, which is kind of like this, but they are always at least a couple of grades below the good and tasty stuff and well below the really good stuff. And like tv dinners, they are convenient, inexpensive (comparatively), can serve the purpose, but there is always that tradeoff of good and tasty for it.

Any way, I’m glad I got that out of my system.

In my experience, it’s mostly about GIGO at the musical level, and the ability of the operator to use the effects musically. In this modern world DSP power is cheap, which is nice. I’m sure that Brian Eno could have a field day with a Behringer FX2000.

Funnily enough I’ve dusted off my old Pod X3 Live last night after buying a new AC-AC adaptor because I’d lost the old one that I then found last night too. :roll_eyes:

Nothing to add. :slight_smile:

So one thing about multi-effects processors is that virtually all of them are digital. And something that I have noticed over the years with digital effects is a murky less defined overall sound. Low and high frequency extension tends to be often lacking along with mids that don’t sound solid and up front. I wonder what causes these things. Is it the conversion quality, aliasing, math precision, or the algorithms themselves? I’m guessing that it isn’t the latter. I have been listening to lots of pedal demos at the same time of listening to multi-effects units, and damn near every time I hear a digital pedal, I hear those qualities of murkiness, less extended frequencies, and less defined up front mids. Here is a good example that I listened to this morning of an old Deluxe Memory Man vs. an Alter Ego (customized Flashback X4).

Multieffect units are nice and usually have a few decent workable sounds, but the first time one craps out on you live, and your whole sound is shot will be the last time you use one live. Especially when it craps out right when you cant do a quick change over to your backup… Used pedals since then and will never go back. Same reason why I will never purchase a Modeler for live use.

I had a Zoom multi fx that had mainly one good sound, paid about 400 bucks and a year later it fried. Bought another over hyped Zoom multi fx for about $250 but it didn’t even have that one good sound. I use stomp boxes live, in a Behringer board that’s falling apart somewhat, and vst’s for recording. I’ve tried miking good amps but I can’t seem to get any better result than vst’s, probably bc the room isn’t properly treated.