Chip in your brain is coming

I’m sure we all remember from the past some overly paranoid (?) person talking about the government putting a chip in someone’s brain. That was outlandish crazy talk, because we hadn’t yet seen the possibilities of micro computing. And I’m also sure that we all know by now that a chip in the brain is very much a coming reality being rapidly developed. And it’s obvious that there will be hard pushes for the public to adopt getting a chip in the brain. It will reportedly first be used in humans who have brain issues, as a means for assisting with lost functionality. And that will surely be where ‘enhancements’ will first be developed, touted, and hyped for beginning creating appeal and want for such things. Then they’ll point marketing at higher income people in the same way that tech tends to emerge on the public market, where more touting, hyping, and wanting will happen before rolling it out to the masses. And by that time, many people will want it, neverminding the context of history and how power and control play out in every facet of life. And many people will resist along the way up to various stages, where many will give in. And along along the way, the resistant people will be progressively technologically handicapped in comparison to those with a really high speed interface to communications, data, and processing power for realtime enhancements in interfacing with the world.

I told myself at many points along the way that I didn’t need a cell phone, that I wouldn’t get one, because the implications were obvious (if not overly paranoid to most people). I resisted for longer than anyone I personally knew. Younger people adopted first, then older people, then kids had to have them. And then one day there I was like every other modern human, becoming normalized to using it every day, neverminding the implications.

And what will you do in the end?

It’s interesting that talk has moved on from breaking up Big Tech to global cyber governance. So leave everybody with their power and create a new revolving door power structure to oversee it. My problems with the whole thing are the motives of the people who (want to) control it and the messing around with things we don’t fully understand yet.

Also with phones we have a choice to leave them behind whenever we want, but you can’t do that with a neural interface. There’s a big difference between “you shouldn’t be bothered about internet privacy if you have nothing to hide” for typing stuff and pressing a Send button compared to a potential thought or biometric signal hoover.

That’s just a minor marketing issue though, I can’t see enough people becoming aware of any big picture as the incremental steps are implemented. Particularly as they clap along with the current drives to “combat disinformation”, censor wrongthink and curtail protests.

No one really does leave them behind though, voluntarily. It was a big paradigm shift going from primarily land lines to primarily mobile. And it should be an even bigger shift going from a mobile phone to an implanted device. I also suspect here that since size will severely limit machine resources, implanted devices will be heavily dependent upon networked resources, software-as-a-service.

I agree, I mean that everybody has a choice to leave them behind so the leap to having something in your brain you can’t take out is, as you say, much bigger. Considering the low power aspect, they could be powered by external transmitters, a bit like RFIDs so there’s a chance at least an aspect of them will never be fully off.

And at some point, given what we have seen in other areas, having a chip will be a requirement to participate and function in the future modern world. And it will be a requirement for security and safety; terrorism, fraud, keeping a networked eye on the kids, and so forth. And it will be eventually targeted for implant in young kids before they can have a chance to decide for themselves, to keep them safe, to give them the needed advantages in the modern modern, to help in modifying impairing and generally undesired behaviors. And they won’t have a real choice, even if they would resist the wanting for it in later years.

Yeah, that’s the problem with the precedents being set during this time. I watched an interesting interview with an anti-fracking campaigner who won an appeal to the high court which meant that relatively disruptive, targeted protest was protected under existing law. Very soon afterwards the Extinction Rebellion popped up and closed down four bridges in London with many of those “protesters” getting paid a nice daily rate for staying there, so not organic (ironically enough).

Just another happy coincidence that happens to set the stage nicely for the next moves by the powers that be! Yay!

But yeah, support mandating A and B for <insert reasons here> and you are guilty of opening the door to those same reasons being used to roll out C to Z. Want to protest? Too late, remember you supported those bills. Start an online campaign? Sorry, that’s “disinformation”. Gather in public? That’s dangerous for public health, no can do.

Now give us your children.

Chip in your brain is here already.

That’s the little voice telling you about 5G and Bill Gates and Hillary and the Jews and the Illuminate and Israel.

It’s all one big conspiracy. Read it on Qanon. and Fox.

Guess I should ring up the CIA and let them know about the commie chip in the brain plot. Otherwise this country might go to hell.

Elon Musk is a swell guy who plays with rockets and space and Mars and electric cars. And he cares deeply about those with brain dysfunctions.

A pity we can’t send him to Mars

There are serious minds wrestling with the potential issues surrounding an increasingly interconnected world, let alone the obvious warning flags around AI and neural implants. Elon Musk himself founded the project OpenAI 6 years ago in an attempt to address these concerns.

Interestingly the primary solution is distributed computing power, not the increasing centralisation we see at the moment. Well, I don’t think they rock the boat by suggesting actual decentralisation, but it’s the logical conclusion. Not just for “AI” either.

What could possibly go wrong? :smiley: